If you’ve ever practiced yoga, you know that each pose presents it’s own challenges. Some require strength, while others call for flexibility or balance. However, sometimes the most difficult part of a yoga practice aren’t the asanas at all — it’s staying focused.
Somewhere between all those chaturangas and (finally!) nailing crow pose, it is all too easy for a yogi like myself to lose that focus. Despite my best efforts to stay present, here are a few thoughts that have found their way into my practice:
1. That lady’s yoga pants are totally see-through. Hold on. Are my yoga pants see-through!? Good thing I’m in the back row.
2. My mind is clear. I am thinking about nothing. Or am I thinking about thinking about nothing? Ugh. Now I’m thinking again!
3. Abs in. Hips squared. Lengthen the side bodies. Now twist — what? This is physically not possible.
4. Wow. I have never sweated so much in my life. Even the tops of my toes are sweating.
5. Did I lock the door? Focus. What should I eat for lunch? Focus! Oh, I really like this song! This is hopeless.
6. Who decided downward facing dog was a resting posture? Child’s pose — now that’s a resting posture.
7. I hope the teacher doesn’t notice how bad my toes look when she adjusts me. Remember to schedule a pedicure.
8. Breathe in. Breathe out … Damn it! I forgot to breathe again. When did breathing get so hard?
9. I’ve probably burned at least 500 calories, right? Definitely getting fro-yo after this. With gummy bears. And chocolate syrup.
10. Please say savasana, please say savasana, please say savasana. Ahhhh – savasana.