Eight beers remail in the Des Moines Register and Iowa Taproom's all-Iowa Beer Brackets. Vote for your favorite Iowa beer now at DesMoinesRegister.com/BeerBrackets. Wochit
Only the elite remain.
The field that started with 64 Iowa beers is now down to the “elite eight” in the Des Moines Register Beer Brackets, which is presented by the Iowa Taproom. The round of eight opened Friday morning and runs until Monday, when the Beer Brackets final four will be unveiled. The winner is set to be announced March 28 at 10 a.m. The March Madness-style tournament features beer from across Iowa in four “brackets” that range in style: dark and malty; light; strong, sour or fruity; and hoppy.
View the full results from the round of 16 at DesMoinesRegister.com/BeerBrackets.
How voting works:
- Click through to DesMoinesregister.com/BeerBrackets. It’s free and requires no registration.
- Pick which beer in each matchup you want to see advance to the final four.
- Click “vote” at the bottom of the matchup.
- Repeat throughout each of the four brackets.
A breakdown of the elite eight beers:
- Dark and Malty: Tip the Cow, a milk stout beer with espresso from SingleSpeed Brewing, vs. 10 Day Scottish Ale from Flix Brewhouse.
- Hoppy: No Coast IPA from Peace Tree Brewing Co. vs. Loopy Lynn, a double IPA from Pulpit Rock Brewing Co.
- Light: Capital Gold, a lager from Confluence Brewing Co., vs. Swashbuckler Ale, a blonde ale from Twisted Vine Brewing.
- Strong, sour or fruity: Blonde Fatale, a Belgian golden strong from Peace Tree, vs. Beatnik sour, a Berliner Weisse from Exile Brewing Co.
Be sure to keep voting. You can visit DesMoinesRegister.com/BeerBrackets once a day to cast a vote.
Mark your calendar: The Register and Iowa Taproom want to give you free beer (yes, zero dollars). On March 24, head out to the Taproom (215 E. 3rd Street in Des Moines’ East Village) to sample the final four beers in the tournament and then cast a vote on which you want to see win (but only if you’re of age). The happy hour tasting is scheduled for 4-6 p.m.
Win prizes: Voters are now able to enter to win prizes through the round of 16 and round of eight, which ends Monday. Follow the instructions on DesMoinesRegister.com/BeerBrackets on how to enter. Winners for each prize will be announced after Monday.
- First: A $50 gift card to the Iowa Taproom
- Second: Two growler fills and a growler carrier from el Bait Shop
- Third: A $25 gift card to the Iowa Taproom
The Des Moines Register Beer Brackets launched in 2016 with more than 11,000 votes cast through six rounds of voting. The West Okoboji-based beer CocO Stout from West O Beer took home the top prize. Know which Iowa beer is your favorite? Vote now at DesMoinesRegister.com/BeerBrackets.