Downtown Des Moines diners were in for a big surprise on Monday when Big City Burger & Greens revealed a new menu and slight renovations to the space.
The popular lunch spot closed Dec. 28 for a week of sprucing up that included rearranging furniture, new salads and more. Here, a look at 11 things that changed.
1. Executive chefs Mike Holman and Andy Havlovic of Two Rivers Hospitality were behind the menu changes.
2. You can’t have it your way anymore at Big City, meaning you can’t make your own salads and burgers now. Before, the restaurant offered around 40 ingredients, which led to a lot of waste.
3. Yes, the standard burger remains, as does a version with cheese, cheese and bacon, veggies or a double.
4. You just can’t order a basket now. Instead, everything is offered a la carte.
5. New sandwiches include a turkey club, patty melt and tuna salad. The fried chicken sandwich and pork tenderloin remain.
6. The stripped down menu includes seven new salads. Look for the sesame with romaine, cabbage, carrot, red pepper, wonton chips and cashews and the kale with dried fruit, radish, carrot, pistachio, wheat berries, pecorino cheese and poppy seed dressing.
7. Yes, some people have been upset about the changes.
8. But the menu is healthier now.
9. The bar that separated the counter from the dining room moved to a wall so guests can dine while looking out on Fifth Avenue.
10. Crispy pickles are also new.
11. Hours remain Mondays through Fridays from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Find It: 400 Locust St.