Whether you're looking for traditional feasting and step-dancing or partying doused in green (from beer to clothing), Juice has you covered.
As the proverb goes, "May your home always be too small to hold all your friends."
THE BIG DAY: MARCH 17
The Parade, then a party
- The annual Friendly Sons of St. Patrick parade will feature Irish music, dancing, float contests and more along Grand Avenue. It'll be followed with an after party of drink specials, vendors, traditional Irish foods, raffles live music and dancing at the Marriott downtown.
- When, where: Parade starts at noon and ends at the downtown Marriott, 700 Grand Ave.
Breakfast feast and guzzle
- Head over to the traditional Irish pub, Royal Mile from 8-11 a.m. to enjoy a breakfast or corned beef hash, corned beef and cabbage. Go green with the Green Shenanigan's cocktail or green beer and enjoy the melodic sounds of bagpipes at noon.
- Where: 210 4th Street
- Drink specials: $5 Jameson, Paddy's and John Powers whiskey
Pinch me, it's the block party
- In the mood to party all day? Stop by the Mickey's Irish Pub block party. The party starts at 6 a.m. with breakfast and green beer and continues all day, featuring drink specials, live DJs, live music with bands The Sky, Decoy and Dolewite (hip-hop tribute band) and all the Guinness and green beads you can imagine.
- Where: Mickey's Irish Pub Downtown, 206 3rd Street; and then on Court Avenue starting at noon.
- Cost: $10; buy tickets at mickeysIrishPub.com
Green dancing machine
- Get your green groove on at the Voodoo Lounge and Stuffed Olive. Doors open at noon with drink specials, free corned beef and cabbage and some major dance tunes.
- Where: Stuffed Olive/VooDoo Lounge; 208 3rd Street
- Drink specials: $5 Greentinis, $1 Jello shots
Mellow and divey dream
- To avoid the downtown Des Moines busy bar scene, head to CJ's Tap, opening bright and early with free corned beef and cabbage (with purchase of a drink). They'll also have professional face painting ($5-$10) so you can look the part before venturing out for parades and partying.
- Where: CJ's Tap, 316 E 30th Street
- Drink special: $2 PBR special
Sweet treats, your golden ticket
- Don't forget to stock up on your favorite treats before downing all that green beer. Head over to Smallcakes to get your hands on Irish Car Bomb, Grasshopper or shamrock and leprechaun-themed cupcakes. If donuts are more your jam, head over to Pints Pub or Capes Kafe, to stock up on Guinness Caramel and Lucky Charms Djonuts.
- Smallcakes: 3605 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines
- Pints Pub: 319 Court Ave.
- Capes Kafe: 900 Mulberry (In the Des Moines Social Club)
Step it up
- Let Irish into your soul with three chances to watch local Des Moines dancers showcase their dancing, stomp and tap talents. Catch the Foy Irish Dancers at 7:40 a.m. on the KCWI Great Day Morning Show at noon during the the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick Day Celebration Parade or 3 p.m. after the parade at the Marriott downtown.
EXTEND YOUR PARTY
St. Patrick 5 & 10K run/walk
- Finish the month of beer and cabbage with the 32nd Annual Friendly Songs of St. Patrick 5K & 10K run/walk. Gather at Sulley's Irish Pub at 9:30 a.m. for a quick drink and last-minute registration. Run starts at 11 a.m. Registration includes an Irish design long sleeve shirt and food and beverages served after the race.
- Where: Sulley's Irish Pub, 110 Grand Ave, West Des Moines
- Cost: $25 through March 22 or $30
Catch that cab
- Get yourself home safe and sound with any unwanted late night disturbances, with this list of cab companies that should be saved in your iphone, ipad, black book and gum wrappers already.
- Uber: Download the app
- Go Taxi: Download the app
- Trans Iowa: 282-6511
- United Cab: 287-7784
- City Cab: 279-5555
- Freedom Taxi: 289-9800
Note: Be wary of hiked pricing and availability. To avoid a surprise bill, call ahead and ask the per mile rate.