Good morning, Iowa!
Good news for hip-hop fans! Rappers Drake and Future are bringing the "Summer Sixteen" tour to Des Moines on Oct. 4 and tickets go on sale this Thursday. As a Drake enthusiast, it was only right that I make memes of him sitting on top of various Des Moines landmarks. You're welcome. Speaking of music, the Tree Town Music Festival is coming up on Memorial Day weekend. Here's everything that you need to know about it. If you're more of a foodie than a music fan, here are 25 Iowa food festivals to check out. Enough with the events! Here's what you might have missed...
As we get older, making sense of our finances can get more complicated. However, when it comes to your money, there are no questions you should feel embarrassed to ask. Yes, there's a difference between "saving" and "investing." Yes, the common savings rate is usually 10-15 percent. You have to do what feels right for you, though. Read through these three financial questions you may be too embarrassed to ask and learn something new.
Another day, another ranking! Des Moines was ranked No. 2 last week by U.S. News' report of the top 20 best affordable places to live in the U.S. We got beat out for the No. 1 spot by Fayetteville, Ark. (WHO?!) Our city placed 11th as one of the best places to live by U.S. News earlier this year. In that ranking, we also were recognized for our job market (7.3 out of 10) thanks to an unemployment rate of 2.9 percent.
Are you thinking about asking your significant other for his or her hand in marriage? Trying to come up with just the right plan to propose is stressful enough for anyone. Don't worry, though. You won't have to empty out your savings in order to create memories that will last a lifetime. Here are 16 proposal ideas for popping the question in central Iowa this summer.
WORK IT OUT...
Being a valuable member of the community is all about using your talents and passions to help improve the lives of those around you. Olivia Kvitne is doing just that as the director and founder of “Yoga for First Responders,” which is a nonprofit that works to “lower stress and build resiliency” in first responders through the practice of yoga. If you’re feeling stressed out and want to give yoga a try, she has three tips for beginners:
- It's not about flexibility. Don't worry about what your body can or can’t do.
- Make sure you take a deep breath with each movement, especially in the challenging positions.
- The more you practice, the more you'll understand. Try at least three classes with different instructors to get started.
Do you have any career tips or life advice that you want to share in the next newsletter? Email email@example.com about getting a possible feature.
I'M IN LOVE WITH...
- The #BringDrakeToDrake campaign that Drake University launched as soon as it was announced that the "6 God" was landing in the Hawkeye state this fall. The person who wrote this press release deserves a raise. The university even got an Instagram follow from Drake last weekend.
- Lure Paper Goods, which you can get from Domestica.
- Ameena, Juice