Pop star Shawn Mendes to play Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines this week
Taking home awards for best song, best artist and biggest fans, Shawn Mendes performs at the MTV EMA awards in London. Other performers included Eminem and Demi Lovato. (Nov. 13) AP
Canada's breakout pop star is headed to Des Moines' largest stage this weekend.
"Treat You Better" singer Shawn Mendes will make his Wells Fargo Arena debut on Saturday. Mendes released his self-titled third studio album last year.
A guitar pop singer al la Ed Sheeran, the 20-year-old Mendes made waves in 2015 with the single "Stitches," which climbed to No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. His notable singles include "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back," "Mercy" and the Camila Cabello collaboration "I Know What You Did Last Summer."
His sophomore album, 2016's "Illuminate," debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. Additionally, Mendes recorded a live performance in 2017 for MTV's "Unplugged" album series.
Mendes songs “In My Blood” and “Lost In Japan” from his third album experienced massive success, soaring to the No. 1 and 2 spots on the overall iTunes chart in the U.S, Top 5 on iTunes in 50 countries, and holding the top two spots on Spotify’s “New Music Friday” playlist.
"Scars to Your Beautiful" singer Alessia Cara will open the show, which starts at 7:30 p.m. Find more information at iowaeventscenter.com.
More summer music in central Iowa:
- 80/35: Full lineup, festival changes announced for annual Des Moines music event
- Hinterland: Here's a closer look at this summer's festival lineup
- 515 Alive: Griz, Illenium, Wiz Khalifa lead lineup with 'Old Town Road' artist
- Iowa State Fair: Pop hit makers The Chainsmokers join this summer's grandstand lineup
- Water Works Park: New Des Moines Symphony concert series coming to city's newest venue
Iowa's music scene really heats up in the summertime. Here are some shows and festivals you can catch in 2019. Mackenzie Ryan, Des Moines Register