St. Patrick's Day Parade 2019: What you need to know
Scenes from the 2018 St. Patrick's Day parade in downtown Des Moines.
It's time for all things green, Des Moines.
Green clothes, green accessories, green eggs and green beer — and perhaps a few four-leaf clovers and leprechaun costumes thrown in for good measure.
The family-friendly St. Patrick's Day Parade and street party will take place on Saturday, March 16 and starts at noon.
Here's a handy guide to help you get lucky with parking and navigating your way to the festivities. There are even a few events to consider for post-parade fun.
The following street closures will take place during the St. Patrick’s Day Parade:
From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway from 16th Street to the east (westbound north lane for staging)
- SW 16th Street/15th Street from Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway to Grand Avenue
- Grand Avenue from 7th Street to 15th Street
- 8th Street from Mulberry Street to High Street
- 9th Street from High Street to Locust Street
From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.:
- Locust Street from 16th Street to 13th Street and from 9th Street to 8th Street
- Walnut Street from 16th Street to 13th Street and from 9th Street to 8th Street
- 13th Street from Grand Avenue to Locust Street
- 12th Street from Locust Street to Grand Avenue (to maintain access for Fire Department)
- 10th Street from Locust Street to High Street
Motorists are urged to use caution when driving in this area, should obey all signing, and expect minor delays. If there are questions, contact the City of Des Moines, Traffic and Transportation Division at (515) 283-4973.
Street parking will be available but will fill up fast as parade time approaches. Here are parking garages in the area. Each garage charges $1/hr.
- 8th & Mulberry Parking Garage - 750 Mulberry St.
- 5th & Keo Parking Garage - 525 5th Ave.
- 4th & Grand Parking Garage - 400 Grand Ave.
- 3rd & Court Parking Garage - 210 2nd Ave.
- 9th & Locust Parking Garage - 801 Locust St.
- East 2nd Street Parking Garage - 402 E. 2nd St.
Park and Ride
- Center Street Park & Ride Parking Garage - 830 6th Ave.; first and second hours, $1.50/hr.; additional hours, 50 cents/Hr.
Access to the D-Line Downtown Shuttle
The D-Line Downtown Shuttle is free to ride, traveling east and west between the Capitol building and Western Gateway. Buses run approximately every 10-15 minutes. For more info, go to ridedart.com.
Dogs are the only animals that are allowed at the parade, and all dogs must be on a leash. Organizers are asking dog owners to please clean up after your dog.
To enter a float or group into the St. Patrick's Day parade or to apply to be its Queen, go to friendlysonsiowa.com/parade for more information and to apply.