If you think Iowa State Fair foods are expensive, you need to see this list
A panel of celebrity judges picked a Best New Deal winner and two finalists for the Best New Food as the Iowa State Fair unveiled all the new foods for 2018.
Food at the Iowa State Fair has received a bad rap in the past for being on the expensive side. But there are plenty of enjoyable eating options that won't break the bank, including sandwiches, hot dogs, fries and ice cream.
This year, the Iowa State Fair published a list of all food and drink items costing $4 or less with the budget-minded patron in mind. Selections start at $1 and go up from there.
This list includes just a few of the many options available and the entire list can be found on the Des Moines Register's Fair Food Finder app:
Here are a few examples of the affordable offerings at the Iowa State Fair in 2018:
- Bag of White Popcorn - Snappy Popcorn, east of Little Hands and North of ALC
- Carmellows - Zag's Popcorn, Grand Ave., at the west end of the Grandstand
- Cup of Chili - Bettie's Foot Longs, northwest of Riley Stage
- Hashbrowns - Pete's Lemonade Shake Ups on the north side of the west entrance to Pioneer Hall
- Vanilla Ice Cream - West Des Moines United Methodist Church on the northeast corner of the Sheep Barn
Plan your Iowa State Fair adventures: This fair guide — including maps and schedule — can be printed or saved to your mobile device
- Big Pickle - Pete's Lemonade Shake Ups on the north side of the west entrance to Pioneer Hall
- Cake Ball - Hoppy's Lemonade, north entrance of the Baby Beef Barn
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich - B & K Concessions' Hot Dogs and Nachos on the main floor of the Ag Building.
- Potato Rounds - West Des Moines United Methodist Church on the northeast corner of the Sheep Barn
- Small Sack of Mini Donuts - JR Donuts at the Triangle, east of the Administration Building
More Iowa State Fair food coverage:
- Take a chance on these odd new foods at the Iowa State Fair
- See the new Iowa State Fair foods for 2018
- Here's your chance to vote for your favorite top 3 new foods at the Iowa State Fair
- These are the top new food trends for Iowa State Fair foods in 2018
- Bacon Pancake Dippers - Crazy Taters on the west side of the Riley Stage
- Fried Green Beans - Stockmann's Inn outside the southwest Cattle Barn
- Hard Shell Taco - The Depot, west of the Varied Industries Building
- Mac N' Cheese - Steer n' Stein on Grand Avenue (Add $1 more for smoked brisket or bacon.)
- Smoked Chicken Leg - Eat It's Chicken City on the north side of Grand Avenue, south of Susan Knapp Amphitheater
- Chili Cheese French Fries - Xtreme Tenderloins on the east side of the Riley Stage on Rhode Island Avenue
- Half-Order of Buttermilk Biscuits and Gravy - West Des Moines United Methodist Church on the northeast corner of the Sheep Barn
- Pella Bologna Sandwich - The Wooden Shoe, north of the Varied Industries Building near the west end
- Pickle Popper - Grater Taters, west of the Riley Stage
- Strawberry Shortcake - Smith's Strawberry Hut, west of Jacobson