Check out these fun November dining events in the Des Moines metro
Get these things done ahead of time, and you'll be very thankful this Thanksgiving! Buzz60
With almost a thousand restaurants in the Des Moines metro, there's no shortage of fun dining events happening in the weeks ahead.
Here are some fun dining events and restaurant news tidbits happening around town for the month of November. We will probably be adding to this online-only list, so keep checking back for additions.
Porc & Pinot at River Center
The River Center, 340 3rd Street, Des Moines
Friday, Nov. 16; 5:30 to 9 p.m.
Black grapes and black pigs come together where the rivers meet at this event at River Center pairing Cinta Senese black Italian heirloom pork preparations with a debut tasting of Balletto Vineyards Burnside pinot noir — a rare "never before, never again" Barrel Auction Lot vintage.
Enjoy live music from Tanner Taylor along with a French cooking demonstration by present and future Loire Valley chefs who will showcase a winning recipe from 2018 Concurs Loire Valley Chefs Association France and ICI Culinary school. La Quercia and Berkwood will also offer pork delicacies for sampling. The Balletto Vineyard team will be on hand for questions and comments. A portion of the proceeds will support CulturAll and l’association Cuisiniers de la Loire.
Tickets and info: Tickets are $50 in advance or $60 at the door from midwestix.com; Call (515) 330-1517 or email email@example.com for more info. Free 2-hour parking with validation available or $5 all-evening parking.
Be sure to bookmark these frequently-updated dining guides:
- Where to eat in downtown Des Moines
- The essential East Village dining guide
- The ultimate list of local Ankeny restaurants
- The 2018 West Des Moines restaurant guide
Sixth anniversary at HoQ
303 E 5th St, Des Moines
Enjoy a four-course dinner at HoQ in the East Village to celebrate its sixth anniversary of creating dishes from local ingredients for the week of Nov. 12-17. A free glass of sparkling wine comes with each dinner, along with a chance to win a $50 gift card to HoQ.
- Winter vegetable soup with herb oil
Second Course (choice of one)
- Isabel’s Tamale with local squash, black beans and hot sauce
- Cauliflower au gratin with local cauliflower, grass-fed cream and pork confit
Main Course (choice of one)
- Local grass-fed bison steak with purple sweet potatoes, fall vegetables and HoQ steak sauce
- Wild-caught scallops with local potato risotto, local sautéed greens and white butter sauce
- Vegetarian dish of roasted local butternut squash, barbecued Sammons Custom Farming onion, grilled local sweet potatoes, sautéed kale and Early Morning Harvest free-range poached egg
- Anniversary cake
More info: For reservations, call (515) 244-1213 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bonefish Grill unveils new brunch menu
650 S. Prairie View Dr, West Des Moines
Bonefish Grill in West Des Moines recently unveiled its new brunch menu to add some new favorites to already popular items like Crème Brûlée French Toast, Half-Pound Wagyu Beef and Egg Burger and the Oscar Omelet. Enjoy hand-crafted mimosas, bloody marys, blackberry sangria and a full line of unique brunch cocktails.
Some highlights from the new menu:
- Crab Cake Rancheros – Maryland-style crab cake baked in a cast iron skillet with creole sauce, topped with fresh guacamole, tomatoes, cilantro and finished with chipotle aïoli sauce, served with corn tortilla strips for dipping
- Seasonal Avocado Toast – freshly-crushed avocado, roasted tomato and crumbled feta cheese, drizzled with olive oil on top of a French baguette, served with freshly grilled lemon
- Saucy Shrimp and Grits – shrimp sautéed with sun-dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives in a lime-tomato garlic sauce served over goat cheese-infused grits, finished with crumbled Feta cheese
- BFG Tuna Steak and Eggs – a play on traditional “steak and eggs,” featuring ahí tuna with chimichurri sauce paired with two sunny-side-up eggs, served with toast and choice of side
More info: Brunch is served starting at 11 a.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. on Sunday. Reservations can be made by calling (515) 267-0064 or visiting bonefishgrill.com.
Culinary Classes at Des Moines Social Club
Everything from Instant Pot to Vegan Holiday Meals
Des Moines Social Club cranks up its culinary programming for the holiday season. Participants can learn the art of pressure cooking, how to prepare a vegan holiday meal and much more. All classes are taught by Chef Cass, an Iowa Culinary Institude grad who learned a great appreciation for food after almost a decade in New York City. DMSC also offers mixology classes, taught by mixologist Karli Sandos.
Nov. 8 - Cooking with Cass: Keepin' it Creole, $45
- In this interactive class, you will craft your own southern, bayou delicacy.
Nov. 14 - Cooking with Cass: Vegan Holiday Dinner, $50
- Learn how to make a vegan dinner for the whole family.
Nov. 29 - Cooking with Cass: The Real South of the Border (Argentina), $45
- A dip into the cuisine of different regions in South America - this class focuses on Argentinian cuisine.
Dec. 6 - Cooking with Cass: Japanese Street Food, $45
- An introduction to some of the different tasty treats and cuisine that are popular in Japan.
Dec. 10 - Cooking with Cass: The Magical Instant Pot, $45
- Having trouble mastering your Instant Pot? Let Chef Cass show you tricks to making amazing meals – but be sure to bring your own Instant Pot.
12/20 - Cooking with Cass: Vegan Holiday Dinner, $50
- This class will cover everything you need to make a meal for your whole family this holiday season. Wine is included – just come ready to make amazing food.
The Culinary Loft at the Des Moines Social Club features a wide variety of culinary classes for all experience levels. Space is limited, so register in advance. Series classes provide an in-depth look at a topic, held on the same day of each month. Sign up for a single session or join the entire series for a discounted price. Food-specific classes will change each semester.
For a full list of classes at Des Moines Social Club, visit bit.ly/dmsc-class-calendar. Learn more: bit.ly/culinary-calendar-dmsc.
Do you have a dining event in November and you don't see it on this list? Contact Brian Carlson to be added.