These are the 40+ restaurants have opened in the metro in 2018
Food trends come and go, but these are the ones that ruled in 2018. TC Newman has that story for Buzz60. Buzz60
Looking back over the past year, we've seen quite a few new restaurants join the Des Moines dining scene. Some restaurants closed their doors while a few others changed locations or opened a new location.
The first half of 2018 saw at least 17 new restaurants opening in the metro. Since then, Des Moines has seen about 25 more restaurant openings. And that includes two Brazilian steakhouses, a dumpling house and two soul food restaurants, just to name a few.
Des Moines restaurant openings in 2018:
Here are the restaurants that have opened in the Des Moines metro in the past year.
BAH Brazilian Steakhouse
Enjoy a Brazilian churrasco dining experience with over 15 cuts of beef, pork, chicken, lamb, homemade Brazilian linguiça sausage and other seasonal cuts brought to your table by a nonstop parade of gauchos. A seasonal all-you-can-eat salad bar, fish dishes, sides and desserts are other options. Small plates and tapas are served in the lounge.
Location: 2301 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 4 to 10 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 4 to 11 p.m.; closed Sundays.
Brazil Terra Grill
The second Brazilian steakhouse to open in 2018, this churrasco experience is also available for lunch. With over 20 cuts of meat, vegetables and pineapple — plus specialty skewers — there are plenty of options. Feast on the gourmet salad bar, sides and desserts as well.
Location: 2800 University Ave., #405, West Des Moines
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4 to 9 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4 to 10 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; closed Sundays.
Butcher’s BBQ & Brews
Butcher's features Texas-style smoked meats flavored with dry rubs and hickory wood blend, including brisket, ribs, chicken, pulled pork and sausage. Enjoy a full bar with eight beers on tap, bourbon cocktails and Shiner Bock.
Location: 300 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Pkwy., #170
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
The Chicken opened along the Great Western Trail in tiny Orilla Township. The menu includes fried, broasted and spicy chicken dishes, five chicken sandwiches, Nashville-style hot chicken, tacos, fajitas and appetizers.
Location: 4221 SE Orilla Rd., Ste. A, West Des Moines
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
A fusion-style dumpling house in East Village, Dumpling Darling serves 10 different kinds of deep-fried, steamed and pan-sauteed dumplings along with bao, or buns, fried rice and other international dishes. It's the third location for the restaurant with one in Newbo City Market in Cedar Rapids and one in Iowa City.
Location: 212 E. 3rd St.
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.
Gastro Grub & Pub
For food truck fare on steroids, try this new gastropub in Waukee. The buttermilk fried chicken sandwich is a popular item, along with Deburgo poutine. Ingredients rotate depending on what's in season locally. Be sure to save room for the "coffee and doughnuts" — an espresso pot de crème with chantilly cream and hazelnut praline served alongside cinnamon-sugar doughnuts.
Location: 1378 East Hickman Road, Waukee
Hours: Tuesday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sunday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; closed Mondays.
Hana Ramen Sushi
This new sushi and ramen house located across from Jordan Creek Town Center serves modern Japanese cuisine in an equally modern atmosphere. Try a lunch combo with your choice of two or three rolls from a lengthy list of options served with miso soup or ginger salad. Happy hours are Monday through Wednesday from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. with plenty of food and drink specials.
Location: 7450 Bridgewood Blvd., #205, West Des Moines
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4:30 to 10 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 4:30 to 10:30 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.; Sunday, 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Lola’s Fine Kitchen
For a blend of Filipino and Pakistani foods, bring your appetites to Lola's in Ankeny for a taste of family recipes passed down through several generations of the Shah family. At this fast-casual restaurant, you pick the bowl: pancit (stir-fried mung bean noodles with vegetables) biriyani, dried fruit and warm spices, jasmine rice, toasted garlic cauliflower and quinoa "rice" or low-carb cabbage noodle pancit. Then you add the toppings, sauces and flavorings you want.
Location: 1615 S.W. Main St., Ste. 106, Ankeny
Hours: Monday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; closed Sundays.
A new bar and grill has opened at Valley West Mall, serving six kinds of mac and cheese along with a limitless variety and a build-your-own option. You can choose between classic or Cajun and each order is served with either Texas toast or a warm Bavarian pretzel stick for dipping. And you can also watch sports and play games.
Location: 1551 Valley West Dr., Ste. 253, West Des Moines
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 am. to 1 a.m.
Contact: (515) 457-8584; Facebook
Steps away from Principal Park, this new pizzeria serves up New York-style slices and whole pies, sandwiches and stromboli. Fast-casual for lunch, table service is provided for dinner. Try the house specialty — Mama's Stuffed Meatballs, filled with mozzarella cheese, breaded and deep-fried, served with red sauce for dipping.
Location: 550 S.W. 9th St., Ste. 4108, Des Moines
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 to 9 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 to 10 p.m.; Saturday, 4 to 10 p.m.; closed Sundays.
Park Street Kitchen and Bar
Perched next to a park with views of the downtown skyline beyond, Park Street Kitchen and Bar is located just off the entrance of the new 330-room, $101 million Hilton Downtown Des Moines. Its approachable menu is full of locally sourced dishes that pay homage to Iowa's favorite foods with a touch of elevation.
Location: 435 Park St., Des Moines
Hours: Monday through Sunday, 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Puerto Rico Restaurant
Tucked away in a little shopping mall in Windsor Heights is a taste of the island of Puerto Rico where you can feast on empanadas, mofongos (meat-filled deep-fried plantain balls served with dipping sauce) and arroz con gandules y pollo (a chicken and rice dish with pigeon peas). But be sure to save room for tembleque, a jiggly coconut dessert pudding.
Location: 6611 University Ave., Ste. 101, Windsor Heights
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.; closed Mondays
Contact: (515) 274-1690; Facebook
Located on Des Moines' East Side, Sir's Kitchen serves a variety of American classics including soul food, seafood, comfort dishes and breakfast platters. The menu includes burgers, chicken and waffles, fried chicken and fish and pasta dishes.
Location: 2905 N.E. Hubbell Ave., Des Moines
Hours: Monday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 to 9 p.m.; closed Tuesdays; Wednesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 to 9 p.m.; Sunday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Contact: (515) 864-9092; Facebook
Tavern 180, an upbeat, custom-crafted food and drink experience originating from Omaha has joined the culinary scene in Ankeny, featuring a mix of stylish cocktails and signature dishes like Kobe Beef Sliders. It's the popular eatery's second location.
Location: 1975 N. Ankeny Blvd., #117
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 4 to 10 p.m., Friday, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Saturday, 4 p.m. to 12 a.m; Sunday 4 to 9 p.m.
The newest restaurant concept to open under the Orchestrate Hospitality umbrella, expect fun twists on appetizers, salads, burgers, sandwiches, side dishes, entrées, pasta bowls and weekend brunch items. South Union Bakery provides fresh rolls and bread for many dishes on the menu for lunch, brunch and dinner. And there are plenty of options for gluten-free and vegan diets.
Location: 2301 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Truman’s KC Pizza Tavern
Get the Royal treatment at Truman's with its hand-tossed pizza, sandwiches and appetizers like the cheese balls — hand-breaded pepper jack cheese bites. A limited breakfast menu is available on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Monday through Friday, daily specials are featured for $7.99 including clam chowder and chicken and dumplings.
Location: 400 S.E. 6th St., Des Moines
Hours: Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.
Wisco Grub & Pub
For Wisconsin sports aficionados, this is the place for you. Shareable appetizers like chicken wings with mild, medium or hot Wisco buffalo sauce make the menu along with a long list of entrees. Fill your belly with a Belly Buster Burger — a grilled half-pound burger made from ground beef and pork belly topped with your choice of cheese, lettuce and tomato. Add a fried egg for $1 more.
Location: 3015 Merle Hay Road., #1A, Des Moines
Hours: Monday and Tuesday, 4 p.m. to 12 a.m.; Wednesday and Thursday, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 12 a.m.
Contact: (515) 528-8069; Facebook
Be sure to bookmark these frequently-updated restaurant lists:
- Where to eat in downtown Des Moines
- The essential East Village restaurants
- The ultimate list of local Ankeny restaurants
- The 2018 West Des Moines restaurants
- East Side eateries: 2019 edition
Other new restaurants in the metro include:
- 165 American Sports Bar & Grill - 165 S. Jordan Creek Pkwy., #120, West Des Moines; (515) 225-7877; 165bargrill.com
- Amigo's Mexican Grill - 502 N. Ankeny Blvd., Ste. 5, Ankeny; (515) 554-1896
- Brightside Kitchen - 12493 University Ave., Clive; (507) 276-5453 ; brightsidekitchen.com
- Copper Kitchen Restaurant - 1225 Copper Creek Dr., Pleasant Hill; (515) 214-1855
- Douglas Cafe Urbandale - 7003 Douglas Ave., Urbandale; (515) 252-8604
- Evolve Juicery and Paleo Kitchen - 218 6th Ave., Unit 102, Des Moines; (515) 400-2660; evolvepaleochef.com
- Five19 Restaurant & Bar - 8460 Birchwood Ct., Johnston; (515) 630-2277; five19bar.com (Grand opening Jan. 12.)
- Hidalgo Mexican Bar & Grill - 2675 100th St, Urbandale; (515) 276-4159
- The Hills Bar and Grill - 4830 Maple Dr., Pleasant Hill; (515) 214-2347
- Pad Thai Garden - 1221 8th St., West Des Moines; (515) 440-4709
- Papa Keno’s - 2330 University Ave., Des Moines; (515) 630-0796; papakenosdesmoines.com
- Papa Kerns Cafe - 304 E. 30th St., Des Moines; (515) 262-7692
- El Pollo Catracho - 4100 SE 14th St., Des Moines; (515) 822-7499
- Railroad Bill’s Dining Car - 621 Des Moines St., Des Moines; (515) 243-0247
- Rolling Smoke Barbecue - 1225 Copper Creek Dr., Pleasant Hill; (515) 262-8219; rollingsmokebbque.com
- Scopri - Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, 401 Locust St, Des Moines; 515-244-2151; renaissancedesmoines.com
- Smash Park - 6625 Coachlight Dr., West Des Moines; (515) 313-0700; smashpark.com
- Soul Spice Restaurant - 910 Hull Ave., Des Moines; (515) 262-3775
Name and menu changes:
- Saison Kitchen + Pub to Blue Tomato Kitchen - 6611 University Ave., Windsor Heights; (515) 279-0114; saisondsm.com
- Fusion Bistro to Shokai Fusion - 3701 EP True Pkwy., #400, West Des Moines; (515) 225-1444 (Reopening on Jan. 8.)
- Taco Hangover to Saints Pub + Patio - 3701 NW 86th St., Urbandale; (515) 528-2039; saintspub.com (Reopening on Jan. 7.)
- Billy Vee's Italian Restaurant - 304 5th St., West Des Moines; (515) 255-2000 (Moved from Panora.)
- Django - 1420 Locust St., Des Moines; (515) 288-0268; djangodesmoines.com (Moved from the Hotel Fort Des Moines.)
- Harvey’s at Hotel Pattee - 1112 Willis Ave., Ste. A, Perry; (515) 465-3511; hotelpattee.com (Moved from Redfield and changed its name from Harvey's Diner & Pub.)
- El Patron Mexican Restaurant - 6350 Douglas Ave, Urbandale; (515) 252-9987 (Moved from 1511 S. Union St., Des Moines.)
- 1908 Draught House - 196 50th St., West Des Moines; (515) 224-4114; draughthouse1908.com
- Central Standard Craft Beer & Burgers - 1222 S.E. University Ave., Waukee; (515) 987-0095; centralstandardburgers.com
- The Grumpy Goat Tavern (2) - 810 E. First St., Ankeny and 1303 Walnut St., Des Moines; Ankeny, (515) 512-2100; Des Moines, (515) 410-2107; thegrumpygoattavern.com
- Gusto Pizza - 2800 University Ave., West Des Moines; (515) 225-1881; gustopizzaco.com
- Maria’s Mexican - 5405 Douglas Ave., Des Moines; (515) 348-9859
- Sweet Swirls Rolled Ice Cream - 5525 Merle Hay Rd., Ste. 180, Johnston; (515) 276-4171; sweetswirlsrolledicecream.com
- Taco Hangover - 1631 S.W. Main St., Ste. 100, Ankeny; 515-348-9062; tacohangover.com
- Teriyaki House Ankeny - 1802 S.E. Delaware Ave., Ste. 108, Ankeny; (515) 964-5055; teriyakihouse.com
- Twisted Pizzaria - 3800 Merle Hay Rd., Des Moines; (515) 252-9843; twistedpizzaria.com
- Wasabi Johnston - 8705 Chambery Blvd., #700, Johnston; (515) 252-9998; wasabidsm.com
- Woody’s Smoke Shack - 2511 Cottage Grove Ave., Des Moines; (515) 277-0005
- Donut King (2) - 3304 E. University Ave., Des Moines and 3802 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines; University Avenue, (515) 274-9892; Ingersoll Avenue/Bauder's, (515) 255-1124
Have you opened a restaurant in the metro in 2018 and do not see it on this list? Please contact Brian Carlson to be added.