Classic 1950s diner opens its doors for breakfast, lunch and dinner in Pleasant Hill
France and Belgium battle over who invented French fries after a major French newspaper claimed they were invented in France. Buzz60's Sean Dowling has more. Buzz60
A new diner has opened in the metro that's sure to bring a nostalgic vibe to the east side.
Pleasant Hill Diner opened on Friday, Feb. 8 at 5015 E. University Avenue in Pleasant Hill. The classic 1950s-style diner serves American dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Located in a building that once housed The Olive Branch, the diner is full of booths and mid-century charm. Most items on the menu are less than $10 with the exception of steaks and barbecued pork rib dishes.
The wide-ranging menu has plenty of choices for breakfast:
- Omelets: All omelets are made with cheddar cheese and served with a side of hash browns and a choice of toast, biscuit and gravy or two silver dollar pancakes. Choose from 16 varieties.
- Pancakes: You can order one, two or three pancakes. Or you can order pancakes in chocolate chip, apple, cherry, blueberry, mixed berry or strawberry. The pancake breakfast comes with two pancakes, two eggs and bacon or sausage links.
- Egg dishes and platters: All are served with hash browns and a choice of toast, silver dollar pancakes or a biscuit and gravy.
- Biscuits and gravy: Order one, two or three biscuits — or a biscuits and gravy platter with two biscuits, two eggs and bacon or sausage links.
- Steak and eggs: Each meat item is served with two eggs, hash browns and a choice of toast, biscuits and gravy or silver dollar pancakes. Choose from one or two boneless pork chops, country fried steak, a ribeye or chopped steak.
- Waffles: The classic waffle special comes with two eggs and a choice of bacon or sausage; or you can order a Belgian waffle; a fruit waffle with apple, cherry, blueberry, mixed berry or strawberry; a chocolate chip or pecan waffle; or an Alaskan waffle with pecans or strawberry ice cream.
- French Toast: You can choose one, two or three sliced of Texas French toast or French toast with fruit like apple, cherry, blueberry, mixed berry or strawberry; a French toast platter with eggs and bacon or sausage links; cinnamon French toast (4 slices) or a French toast deluxe platter with four slices of toast, two eggs and a choice of bacon or sausage links.
- Crepes: You can order three crepes — either plain or with fruit.
- Skillets: Skillets are made with hash browns and topped with cheese and two eggs any style, and served with a choice of toast, biscuit and gravy or silver dollar pancakes. Six varieties are available like veggie, Mexican or meat lover.
- Sides: You can order extra hash browns, french fries, corned beef hash, sausage links, sausage patties, bacon or ham.
Lunch and dinner items
Sandwiches and clubs come with chips or you can order them "deluxe" with fries and a cup of soup for $1 extra.
- Sandwiches: Around 19 sandwiches are available like burgers, chicken sandwiches, melts, French dips, grilled ham and cheeses, tenderloins and Reubens.
- Clubs: Five varieties are available like a house club with ham, turkey, bacon and mayo; BLT and roast beef.
- Hot and Hearty: These sandwiches are served open-faced with mashed potatoes and gravy with a choice of soup or salad. Six varieties are available — beef, pork tenderloin, turkey, hamburger, chicken fried steak and ham.
- Dinner items: You can choose between half of a fried chicken, a full or half rack of barbecued pork ribs, ribeye, pork tenderloin, shrimp, two boneless pork chops or chopped steak. All dinners are served with a choice of potato — hash browns, fries, baked or mashed — and a choice of soup or salad.
- Pasta: Four pasta dishes are available — spaghetti with meat sauce, fettuccine Alfredo, chicken Alfredo or chicken Parmesan with meat sauce and a side of spaghetti. All dishes come with breadsticks and soup or salad.
- Salads: Choose between eight salads like grilled or crispy chicken, garden, Grecian, taco or a Hollywood salad with sliced beef and ham with American and Swiss cheese.
- Appetizers: You can nibble on onion rings, mozzarella sticks, breaded mushrooms, cheese curds, bone-in wings, Texas fries with cheese sauce and bacon and jalapeno poppers.
Be sure to bookmark these frequently-updated special dining features:
- Where to dine on the East Side in 2019
- Where to eat chicken wings in Des Moines
- Here's where you can find Broasted chicken in the Des Moines metro
- The ultimate Italian restaurants in Des Moines in 2019
Seniors 65 and over can enjoy plenty of choices from the breakfast and lunch/dinner items for $8 or less. And there are plenty of options for $5.25 or less for the kids.
To wash it all down, you can order soft drinks, milk, assorted juices, coffee or hot tea.
Pleasant Hill Diner
Location: 5015 E. University Ave., Pleasant Hill
Hours: Open daily, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.