Enjoy food and drink specials inspired by 'Game of Thrones' at these Des Moines eateries
The beautiful shores of Norway were captured by an adventurous drone pilot who flew over the landscape like a real-life Game of Thrones dragon. USA TODAY
"Game of Thrones" has taken the nation by storm, and it was just a matter of time before restaurants came up with their own creative takes on dishes and drinks inspired by the books and HBO series.
Restaurants in the Des Moines metro are coming up with specials based on the best-selling book series, "A Song of Ice and Fire," by George R.R. Martin.
Here are places in the metro where you can go to get a cup, plate or glass filled with something tasty that could be right out of Westeros.
Black Cat Ice Cream
At Black Cat Ice Cream, winter is here, and so is this week’s "Game of Thrones" inspired ice cream menu:
- Red Wedding Cake — Red velvet ice cream with pieces of red velvet cake and a raspberry swirl
- I Drink and I Dough Things — Vanilla bean-bourbon ice cream with cookie dough
- The Night King — Blue peppermint ice cream with peppermint patties
- The House of Black and White — Dark and white chocolate ice creams with Oreo cookies
- Brienne of Tart — Lemon ice cream with shortbread pieces and a cherry swirl
- Dragon Fire — Smoked cinnamon whiskey and ghost chili ice cream
- House Turnberry Sorbet — Fresh strawberries and lemon sorbet
Be sure to get a cup of your favorite GoT flavor before it sells out ($5 per cup).
Location: 1501 Grand Ave., Des Moines
Hours: Tuesday through Friday, 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.; closed Sundays and Mondays.
Firebirds Wood Fired Grill
For the month of April, Firebirds in Wes Des Moines is offering "Game of Thrones" wine by the glass and by the bottle. "Capturing the strength of Game of Thrones’ characters and the terrain of their kingdoms, these limited offerings by master winemaker Bob Cabral are as complex as the epic tales they acclaim," the website said.
- "Game of Thrones" Chardonnay — "A rich palate of peaches, apricots, tangerine, Meyer lemon, baking spices and honey"
- "Game of Thrones" Pinot Noir — "Fruit-focused with subtle tones of earthiness, vanilla, spice and toasted oak in the background"
Both the Chardonnay and the pinot noir are $10 for a 5-ounce glass, $14 for an 8-ounce glass and $42 by the bottle. And on Mondays, wine by the glass and bottle are half-price.
Does your restaurant or bar have a "Game of Thrones" special? We'd love to include it. Please email Brian Carlson to have it added to this article.