10 burger recipes that will keep your backyard barbecue guests coming back for more
Mix these pantry staples into ground beef to take your burgers, for July 4 and beyond, from basic to brilliant. Johnathan L. Wright, RGJ
Warm weather is here and it's time to fire up the grill.
And since May is National Hamburger Month, it's time to enjoy a tasty burger from the grill. Whether you prefer the classic toppings or a new twist to your burger topping, hamburgers are always a family favorite.
Try these tips when grilling for a perfect burger:
- Be gentle – Lightly shape ground beef patties using gentle touch to avoid over-mixing, which results in a firm, compact texture.
- Create a divot – Use your thumb to create an indentation or divot in the center of the burger. This helps the burger cook more evenly.
- Safe and Savory – Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure your burger is cooked to 160 degrees Fº. Burgers cooked to that temperature are medium, giving you a juicy burger and eliminating any possible bacteria in raw meat.
- Spatula for turning only – Pressing the burger with a spatula will cause a loss of juices, resulting in a dry hamburger.
Be sure to bookmark these frequently-updated special dining features:
- Here are Iowa's Top 10 burgers in 2019
- Steakhouses of Des Moines: 2019 Edition
- Where to find amazing barbecue in the metro
- The hottest new patios of Des Moines for Summer 2019
10 burger toppings
Try these topping combinations and find a new favorite to build a better burger:
- Pepperoni Pizza Burger: Grilled burger covered with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce.
- Greek Burger: Topped with herbed feta cheese, black olives and onions.
- Caesar Burger: Ground beef seasoned with garlic and black pepper served on a crusty roll, accented with Caesar dressing, romaine lettuce and avocado slices.
- Blue Moon Burger: Grilled burger topped with bleu cheese, sautéed mushrooms, lettuce and tomato, served on an onion bun.
- Cowboy Burger: Grilled mushrooms, grilled onion, bacon and Monterey Jack cheese on a beef patty.
- Chicago Burger: Grilled beef burger with sweet relish, chopped onion, ketchup, mustard and hot peppers.
- Sticky Burger: Grilled burger spread with peanut butter, bacon and Jack cheese.
- Olive Festival Pizza Burger: Beef burger stuffed with mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce covered with sliced black and green olives.
- Rowdy Reuben Burger: Grilled beef patty smothered with melted Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing and zesty coleslaw, served on marble rye.
- Cordon Bleu Burger: Ground beef patty beneath a layer of sliced ham, Swiss cheese and Dijon mustard.
Beef provides 10 essential nutrients like protein, zinc, iron and B vitamins, which provides bodies and minds with the fuel needed at all stages of life to be the best version of ourselves.
A 3-ounce cooked serving of beef, similar in size to a deck of cards, provides 25 grams of protein, roughly 50% of your daily value.
For more tasty burger recipes, visit iabeef.org.