Giordano's opens in West Des Moines, bringing its popular deep-dish pizza to the masses
Chicago's signature dish must be tried, whether at Giordano's or Lou Malnati's.
It's the moment many have been waiting for.
Giordano's, located in the newly-built Bridgewood Square retail center in West Des Moines at 120 Jordan Creek Parkway, is now open to the public.
A soft opening was held Monday. According to a sign on its door, Giordano's opening week schedule will be:
- Tuesday-Thursday, 4-10 p.m.
- Friday, 4-11 p.m.
- Saturday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Sunday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
The flagship item on Giordano's menu is its stuffed deep-dish pizza in 12-, 14- and 16-inch sizes featuring six to 10 slices. The pizzas are known for their "cheese pull," meaning the melted cheese stretches in midair as you pull slices away from each other.
A list of specialty pies are available, like the Super Veggie, Meat & More Meat, classic Margherita and The Special with sausage, mushrooms, green pepper and onions. Or you can create your own from a list of toppings.
The deep-dish pies need up to 45 minutes to bake and start at $16.75. Pizzas are also available in thin-crust or extra-thin-crust in the same three sizes, starting at $12.25.
In addition to pizza, Giordano's menu features starters, salads, soups, sandwiches served with sides, and classic pasta dishes available as entrees or family platters. Some of the highlights include:
- Mozzarella Triangles — Lightly breaded and served with housemade marinara sauce ($8.25).
- Italiano Salad — Lettuce mix, pepperoni, salami, mozzarella cheese, bruschetta tomatoes, kalamata olives and banana peppers with our red wine vinaigrette ($5.95; $10.95; $20.95).
- Italian Beef Sandwich — Tender Italian-style beef on a toasted garlic Italian roll with sweet peppers, spicy giardiniera and a cup of beef jus ($9.75).
- Chicken Florentine — Breaded chicken breast topped with sauteed mushrooms, baby spinach, mozzarella and parmesan cheese, served with creamy garlic fettuccine alfredo ($13.95; $26.95).
A create-your-own lunch special starts at $8.95 and includes a choice of entrees with a side dish like an individual 6-inch deep-dish pizza, meatball sub, or spaghetti with meat or marinara sauce.
Additional sides include small Caesar or side salads, soup or garlic-parmesan fries.
Kids have a choice of "pasghetti" with alfredo, marinara or parmesan butter; a chicken little basket, or a thin-crust pizza with pepperoni or plain cheese ($4.95).
For dessert, choose between an oversized chocolate chunk or salted caramel skillet cookie topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate or sea salt caramel sauce ($7.95) or a slice of tiramisu ($6.95).
Originating in Chicago, Giordano's has more than 40 stores, mostly in the Chicago area but also in Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada and Ohio. The West Des Moines store is the company's first in Iowa since 1986.
Bookmark these frequently-updated metro dining guides
- Chicago-style deep-dish pizza in the Des Moines metro: 2018 edition
- The essential pizza restaurants of Des Moines
- The 2018 West Des Moines restaurant guide
- The ultimate late-night restaurant guide for the Des Moines metro
Location: 120 S. Jordan Creek Parkway, West Des Moines
Hours: Monday-Thursday 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
Brian Taylor Carlson is the food and dining reporter at the Des Moines Register. Reach him at email@example.com or 515-284-8552 and follow @briantaylorcarlson on Facebook, @BriinDSM on Twitter and @briindsm on Instagram.