Here are the best ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve 2018 in Des Moines
Have you ever wondered why we toast with champagne? Elizabeth Keatinge has the story. Buzz60
It's time to celebrate the past year and ring in the new one. Restaurants in Des Moines are gearing up to help you enjoy your New Year's Eve and New Year's Day with culinary creativity.
From an evening of locally sourced dishes to a French-style champagne and jazz brunch, Des Moines chefs are getting ready for New Year's dining events.
Be sure to bookmark these frequently updated dining guides:
- Where to eat in downtown Des Moines
- Essential East Village dining
- The ultimate list of local Ankeny restaurants
- West Des Moines restaurants
- How to dine on the East Side in 2019
Here are the hot restaurant specials happening in Des Moines for New Year's. This list will grow as entries come in, so keep checking back. And be sure to make your reservations early as space fills up quickly.
5513 Mills Civic Pkwy., West Des Moines; (515) 453-2337; (515) 457-7258
Ring in 2019 in West Glen with this New Year's Eve Bash dance party with DJ Tone Zone, Tony Galloro. The celebration runs from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. and includes a complimentary glass of bubbly at midnight (must be 21 or older).
- Over 100 beers on tap - with special prices for Exile Brewing Company beers
- Craft cocktails
- Food specials like five small plates for $5 each
- Menu favorites like 22-inch New York-style pizzas, sandwiches, burgers and appetizers
Tickets are free for general admission and can be reserved through Eventbrite.
2724 Ingersoll Ave, Des Moines; (515) 244-1314
Harbinger will feature a weekend of great food and wine offerings. On Sunday, enjoy the regular menu or get a preview of the 5-course menu offering for New Years. New Year's Eve will include two luxurious options — a Chef's Tasting menu for $65 with an optional $35 wine pairing and a Grand Tasting option filled with luxurious items for $95 with an optional $45 wine pairing.
New Year's Eve Grand Tasting tidbits:
- Wagyu beef short ribs - braised for 24 hours and served with potato and kimchi waffle, bond marrow gochujang and aerated buttermilk
- Gold king crab - served with crispy fried bao, chili and egg
- Sweet Nantucket bay scallops - poached in bonito butter and served with celery root, honey crisp and pickled seaweed
Requests for the Grand Tasting menu by request only during reservation bookings. Vegan and vegetarian options will be available.
303 E. 5th St., Des Moines; (515) 244-1213
HoQ, the farm-to-table restaurant in East Village, is featuring a four-course dinner for New Year's Eve. HoQ recently opened its private dining room in the adjacent building space.
First course (choice of one)
- Shrimp bisque - Served with crème fraîche
- New Year salad - Lees Greens, shaved butternut squash, organic poached beets, trio radish and micro greens
Second course (choice of one)
- Bangladeshi samosa - Grass-fed beef heart and liver, organic potatoes, Mama’s spice and special sauce
- Goat cheese flan - Local goat cheese and savory custard
Main course (choice of one)
- Pork and beef - Grass-fed steak wrapped with Burkwood Farm bacon, spiced potatoes cutlet, winter greens and homemade ketchup
- Crab cake - Barley risotto, roasted beets and carrots and beurre rouge
- Vegetarian - Roasted local butternut squash curry, buttered basmati rice, potato cake stuffed with hard-boiled egg and greens
Dessert sampler plate
The cost is $65 per person with an additional $35 per person for the optional wine pairing. Reservations are being accepted from 5 to 10:30 p.m.
401 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines; (515) 518-6070
"Bubble into 2019" at the AC Hotel by Marriott in East Village — twice. A free-to-attend New Year's Eve Pre-Party will take place on the first floor at the AC Hotel Lounge from 5 to 8 p.m. with hors d'oevres and live music by Jordan Beem Music.
Then, the festivities move up to the sixth floor for a night of celebration, including:
- A private, reserved table from 8 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- Live music from Jordan Beem beginning at 9 p.m.
- New Year's party favors and a bottle of Freixenet Champagne
- A champagne toast at midnight
Tickets are limited and vary in price and party size. Find them at ticketleap.com.
12695 University Ave., #140, Clive; (515) 327-7427
Enjoy a special New Year's Celebration menu at Table 128 in Clive, created by chef Lynn Pritchard. But you can enjoy a full menu of restaurant favorites including appetizers, salads, soups, mains and desserts. And that means there will be plenty of the popular cheddar and jalapeño donuts with sweet corn, Parmesan and sriracha aïoli.
The Chef's Menu includes:
- Black Bass Crudo - paired with 2015 Au Bon Climat Chardonnay, Central Coast, California
- Duck Confit - paired with 2012 Chateau Famaey "Cuvee X" Malbec, Cahors, France
- Opera Entermet - paired with 2017 Angelo Negro e Figli "Birbe" Brachetto - Roero/Piedmont, Italy
The special menu is $48 — $67 with the optional wine pairing. A hand-selected list of small production grower-producer champagnes will help make your occasion exceptional and unique. Reservations are being taken from 4 to 10 p.m.
12851 University Ave., Clive; (515) 221-3474
Enjoy the full menu of small and large plates along with specials. The bar opens at 4 p.m. and dinner is served from 5:30 to 10 p.m. A DJ is spinning tunes and taking requests from 9 to 12:30 a.m. and there is complimentary champagne at midnight. Call for reservations — all party sizes are accepted.
- Appetizer - Seared scallop risotto with wilted spinach, Parmesan cheese, confit garlic
- Entrée - Braised lamb shank with mustard grain mashed potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, smoked bacon demi-glace
5810 Merle Hay Road, Johnston; (515) 221-3474
Enjoy the full menu of Greenbriar favorites, along with specials. Dinner is served from 5 to 10 p.m. Complimentary champagne is served from 10 p.m. to midnight. Call for reservations for parties of any size.
- Appetizer - Seared Hawaiian swordfish with mango salsa
- Entrée - Surf and turf with lobster tail and grilled Iowa beef tenderloin
410 S. Ankeny Blvd., Ankeny; (515) 965-7802
Enjoy a New Year's Eve dinner for two for $34.99. Dinner includes a choice of ribeye steak or shrimp alfredo with a salad and a margarita cocktail.
6587 University Ave., Windsor Heights; (515) 277-6627
Ring in the new year with a Champagne and Jazz Brunch at Baru 66 on Tuesday, Jan. 1. Master chef David Baruthio will showcase his favorite holiday cuisine for the one-time-only holiday brunch buffet from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. John Krantz and Steve Charlson will play live piano jazz and guests can indulge in a mimosa and craft cocktail bar featuring Champagne Lecomte Brut.
- Enjoy oysters, smoked salmon, lobster, assorted pastries and more.
- The feast will also include entrées available to order like filet mignon topped with Béarnaise sauce, poached egg and truffles, paired with a potato dauphin.
The New Year’s experience at Baru 66 is $80 per person plus tax and tip. Call for reservations or email email@example.com.
Here's a list of other Des Moines metro restaurants that are open on New Year's Eve. Call ahead for reservations.
- 801 Chophouse - 801 Grand Ave #200, Des Moines; (515) 288-6000
- AJ's Steakhouse - Prairie Meadows Hotel and Casino, 1 Prairie Meadows Dr., Altoona; (515) 957-3535
- Akebono 515 - 215 10th St., Des Moines; (515) 244-5972
- Alba - 524 E. 6th St., Des Moines; (515) 244-0261
- Americana - 1312 Locust St, Des Moines; (515) 283-1312
- Aposto at the Scala House - 644 18th St., Des Moines; (515) 244-1353
- Aunt Maude's - 547 Main St., Ames; (515) 233-4136
- BAH Brazilian Steakhouse - 2301 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines; (515) 705-0085
- Biaggi's Ristorante Italiano - 5990 University Ave., West Des Moines; (515) 221-9900
- Billy Vee’s Italian Restaurant - 304 5th St., West Des Moines; (515) 255-2000
- Blu Toro Cantina & Grill - 5585 Mills Civic Pkwy., #110, West Des Moines; (515) 223-2302
- Bonefish Grill - 650 S. Prairie View Dr., West Des Moines; (515) 267-0064
- BRAVO Cucina Italiana - 120 S. Jordan Creek Pkwy., West Des Moines; (515) 225-0660
- Brazil Terra Grill Steakhouse - 2800 University Ave., #405, West Des Moines; (515) 650-4111
- Bubba - 200 10th St, Des Moines; (515) 257-4744
- Centro - 1003 Locust St, Des Moines; (515) 248-1780
- Ceviche Bar - 223 E. Walnut St., Des Moines; (515) 770-9795
- Chicago Speakeasy - 1520 Euclid Ave, Des Moines; (515) 243-3141
- Christopher's - 2816 Beaver Ave., Des Moines; (515) 274-3694
- Club Car Restaurant & Lounge - 13435 University Ave., #200, Clive; (515) 226-1729
- The Continental - 428 E Locust St, Des Moines; (515) 244-5845
- Cooper's on 5th - 227 5th St., West Des Moines; (515) 255-9895
- Cosi Cucina Italian Grill - 1975 NW 86th St., Clive; (515) 278-8148
- Chuck's - 3610 6th Ave, Des Moines; (515) 244-4104
- Crème Cupcake + Dessert - 543 28th St., Des Moines; (515) 288-1050
- Dino's Bar & Grill - 5962 Ashworth Rd, West Des Moines; (515) 809-1708
- District 36 Wine Bar & Grille - 1375 SW Vintage Pkwy, Ankeny; (515) 261-2502
- Django - 1420 Locust St, Des Moines; (515) 288-0268
- Eatery A - 2932 Ingersoll Ave, Des Moines; (515) 282-8085
- Fire Creek - 800 S. 50th St. #110, West Des Moines; (515) 224-0500
- Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar - 150 S Jordan Creek Pkwy, West Des Moines; (515) 457-2916
- The Fletcher Full Service Kitchen + Bar - 1802 N Ankeny Blvd., #100, Ankeny; (515) 963-9632
- Flying Mango - 4345 Hickman Rd., Des Moines; (515) 255-4111
- Gastro Grub & Pub - 1378 East Hickman Rd., Waukee; (515) 300-2460
- Gilroy's Kitchen + Pub + Patio - 1238 8th St., West Des Moines; (515) 809-1727
- Hana Ramen Sushi - 7450 Bridgewood Blvd., #205, West Des Moines; (515) 222-9998
- Harvey's at Hotel Pattee - 1112 Willis Ave., Ste. A, Perry; (515) 465-3511
- Heavenly Asian Cuisine & Lounge - 225 5th St., West Des Moines; (515) 274-9156
- Iowa Beef Steakhouse - 1201 E. Euclid Ave, Des Moines; (515) 262-1138
- Irina's Restaurant and Bar - 2301 Rocklyn Dr, Urbandale; (515) 331-0399
- Jesse's Embers - 3300 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines; (515) 255-6011
- John & Nick's Steak & Prime Rib - 15970 Hickman Rd., Clive; (515) 987-1151
- Johnny's Italian Steakhouse - 550 Bass Pro Dr. NW, Altoona; (515) 957-9600
- Johnny's Italian Steakhouse - 6800 Fleur Dr., Des Moines; (515) 287-0848
- Johnny's Italian Steakhouse - 6075 Mills Civic Pkwy., West Des Moines; (515) 333-5665
- Louie's Wine Dive - 4040 University Ave., Des Moines; (515) 777-3416
- Lucca - 420 E Locust St, Des Moines; (515) 243-1115
- Mandarin Grill & Sushi Bar - 1250 Northwest 128th St., # 100, Clive; (515) 327-5988
- Mama Lacona's Italian Restaurant - 3825 121st St., Urbandale; (515) 270-0022
- Maxie's Restaurant & Lounge - 1311 Grand Ave., West Des Moines; (515) 223-1463
- Miyabi 9 - 512 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines; (515) 288-8885
- Nick's Bar & Grill - Indian Hills Center, 9769 University Ave., Clive; (515) 221-1338
- Noah's Ark - 2400 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines; (515) 288-2246
- Ohana Steakhouse - 2900 University Ave., West Des Moines; (515) 225-3325
- Park Street Kitchen - Hilton Des Moines Downtown; 435 Park St., Des Moines; (515) 645-4065
- Proof - 1301 Locust St. C, Des Moines; (515) 244-0655
- Provisions Lot F - 2400 N. Loop Dr., Ames; (515) 598-1783
- The Radish Dining & Catering - 721 E. 1st St., Grimes; (515) 986-1900
- Range Grill + Golf - 11865 Hickman Rd., Urbandale; (515) 252-7500
- Reed's Hollow - 2712 Beaver Ave, Des Moines; (515) 777-3625
- RoCA - 208 Court Ave., Des Moines; (515) 282-3663
- Rube's Steakhouse - 3309 Ute Ave., Waukee; (515) 987-8237
- Rusty Duck - 732 Marshall St., Dexter; (515) 789-4142
- Sakari Sushi Lounge - 2605 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines; (515) 288-3381
- Sakura Sushi - Normandy Plaza, 1960 Grand Ave., #11, West Des Moines; (515) 225-9999
- Samurai Sushi and Hibachi - Jordan Creek Town Center, 7125 Mills Civic Parkway, #110, West Des Moines; (515) 223-4888
- Scornovacca's Ristorante - 1930 SE 14th St., Des Moines; (515) 244-5779
- Simon's - 5800 Franklin Ave., Des Moines; (515) 255-3725
- Skip's - 4000 Fleur Dr., Des Moines; (515) 287-1820
- Splash Seafood Bar & Grill - 303 Locust St., Des Moines; (515) 244-5686
- St. Kilda - 300 SW 5th St., Des Moines; (515) 369-7854
- Star Bar - 2811 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines; (515) 244-0790
- Taki Japanese Steakhouse - 2677 86th St., Urbandale; (515) 331-3030
- The Stuffed Olive - 208 3rd St, Des Moines; (515) 243-4456
- Tavern 180 - 1975 N. Ankeny Blvd., #117, Ankeny; (515) 630-0423
- Tumea & Sons - 1501 SE 1st St, Des Moines; (515) 282-7976
- Tursi's Latin King - 2200 Hubbell Ave., Des Moines; (515) 266-4466
- The Urban Grill - 3651 86th St., Urbandale; (515) 278-1016
- Villaggio - 1220 Sunset Dr., Ste. 101, Norwalk; (515) 981-9491
- Vino209 Wine Café - 209 5th St., West Des Moines; (515) 255-1209
- Wasabi Chi - 5418 Douglas Ave, Des Moines; (515) 528-8246
- Wasabi Johnston - 8705 Chambery Blvd., #700, Johnston; (515) 252-9998
- Wasabi Tao (Downtown) - 400 Walnut St.; (515) 777-3636
- Wasabi Waukee - 9500 University Ave., #2101, West Des Moines; (515) 987-6080
- Waterfront Seafood Market - 2900 University Ave., West Des Moines; (515) 223-5106
- Waterfront Seafood Market - 2414 SE Tones Dr., Ankeny; (515) 963-1940
Is your restaurant featuring a special dining event for the New Year? Email Brian Carlson with details to have it added to the list.