'Idol' star Maddie Poppe, 'Voice' contestant Jon Mero to perform at Drake University for suicide prevention event
Shortly after National Suicide Prevention Week, Inspire Iowa's Future will hold its third annual speaker event Sept. 18 at Drake University's Knapp Center.
The free event is dedicated to suicide prevention and will include food and entertainment.
Sadie Penn, an advocate for suicide prevention, will be speaking at the event.
One person dies by suicide every 20 hours in Iowa, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. A CDC report also found that 479 deaths were caused by suicide in 2017.
Schedule of events:
- 5: 30 p.m.: Doors open/free food
- 6 p.m.: Opening act
- 7 p.m.: Featured acts
- 8:30 p.m.: Closing remarks
2601 Forest Ave.
Des Moines, Iowa
How to get help:
- Your Iowa Life: call 855-581-8111 or text 855-895-8398 for free 24/7, confidential support. Other resources are available online at yourlifeiowa.org.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255). Other resources are available at suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741 for free 24/7 crisis support.
- Central Iowa Crisis Line: Call 844-258-8858 for 24/7 help in central Iowa counties. More information is provided at cicsmhds.org.