DIY: Tequila Steak Pizza
In lieu of National Tequila Day (July 24), let’s celebrate by thinking beyond the bottle. Not only does tequila add a punch of flavor to steak, it also tenderizes it in record time.
Grilled Tequila Steak Pizza
Makes 4 servings
Total time: 35 minutes + marinating time
1 pound flat iron steak
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1 cup tomato, chopped
2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup shredded cheese
4 whole wheat tortillas
¼ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup tequila
1 Tbsp. minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce OR 1 tsp. chipotle chili spice
1. COMBINE lime juice, tequila and chipotle pepper in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons for topping.
2. Place steaks and remaining marinade in a zip-top plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, or up to two hours.
3. Meanwhile, combine corn, tomato, 2 tablespoons cilantro, salt and reserved 2 tablespoons of marinade; cover and refridgerate.
4. Once ready, remove steaks from marinade and discard remaining marinade.
5. Grill steaks over medium heat for 10 to 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 145⁰ F, turning occasionally. Remove steaks from grill and keep warm.
6. Place tortillas on grill and grill for one to two minutes, or until toasted. Flip tortillas and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Grill one to two more minutes, until cheese starts to melt.
7. Carve steaks into thin slices, then top tortillas with beef and corn mixture.
Nutrition information per serving: 485 calories; 23 g fat; 11 g saturated fat; 100 mg cholesterol; 726 mg sodium; 33 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 33 g protein