The Iowa State Fair is going virtual with at-home butter sculpting, fair food recipes and more
Georgie's Roast with the Most Wrap won the Fair's Best New Food of 2019. The Des Moines Register
This year's Iowa State Fair is going to be different.
There won't be piles of freshly baked Barksdale's Chocolate Chip Cookies or the smell of creamy cheese curds wafting up and down the Grand Concourse. You won't cool down with a trip on the Sky Glider or a tangy cup of ice-cold lemonade. And you won't hear world-renowned acts rocking out on the Grandstand.
But the pandemic won't stop all the Iowa State Fair fun.
Fair organizers announced Thursday that they will host online events, classes and contests during the 11 days that the annual event would have taken over the east side fairgrounds.
From at-home butter sculpting to yoga for kids, fair fans can tune in to the Iowa State Fair's Facebook page for daily content starting Aug. 13.
While Iowans may not be able to grab a turkey leg or throw cow chips, we can still have some fair fun this summer!
Read the full schedule of events below, but be sure to check the fair's Facebook page daily as times and events are subject to change.
Thursday, Aug. 13
Theme: Opening Day
- 9 a.m.: Opening ceremonies video sponsored by Iowa Corn.
- 11 a.m.: Where at the Fair — Put your knowledge of historic fair landmarks to the test with a Where at the Fair Facebook contest.
- 2 p.m.: Blue Ribbon Foundation online auction.
Friday, Aug. 14
Theme: County Fair Day
- 9 a.m.: Have you Herd? — 4-H members explain how they care for cattle, pigs, sheep and goats.
- 11 a.m.: Have you ever seen a chicken take a bath? — A 4-H member shows how she gets her chickens ready for show competitions.
- 2 p.m.: Virtual tour of the 4-H building — The Bruce L. Rastetter 4-H Building was renovated this year. Take a tour to see the building's new look.
Saturday, Aug. 15
Theme: Royalty Day
- 9 a.m.: State Fair Scramble and Delta Dental of Iowa Tooth Sleuth — Go on a hunt with Star 102.5's State Fair Scramble and Delta Dental Tooth Sleuth through the station's Facebook page and Delta Dental of Iowa's social media.
- 11 a.m.: Queens of yore — Learn more about the past State Fair queens.
- 2 p.m.: Message from the Iowa State Fair Queen, Hannah Koellner.
- 3 p.m.: TikTok contest with Fairfield — The Iowa State Fair's mascot, Fairfield, takes over TikTok.
Sunday, Aug. 16
Theme: Blue Ribbon Foundation Day
- 9 a.m.: Live hymn sing-along from First Church.
- 11 a.m.: Virtual fairgrounds tour with the State Historical Society.
- 2 p.m.: Blue Ribbon Foundation campaign update and 2020 merchandise for sale.
Monday, Aug. 17
Theme: Veterans and Heroes Day
- 9 a.m.: Live national anthem by Jackie Schmillen, co-host of "Good Day."
- 11 a.m.: Memories from Veterans Days past — Look back at some tributes to veterans at the State Fair.
- 2 p.m.: Get cookin' — Tune in as the Iowa Food and Family Project hosts a recipe share.
Tuesday, Aug. 18
Theme: Nothing Could be Butter
- 9 a.m.: Got milk? — Iowa State University dairy students explain the milking process.
- 11 a.m.: The Iowa Dish highlight and Ag-Mazing Challenge — the Iowa Farm Bureau’s Ag-Mazing Challenge is an online scavenger hunt that lets you explore agriculture in your own life while competing for more than $10,000 in prizes. The prizes include including $500 Visa gift cards and the Farm Bureau’s “Missing Corndog” T-shirt.
- 2 p.m.: Butter sculpting with the Iowa State Fair butter sculptor, Sarah Pratt.
Wednesday, Aug. 19
Theme: Senior Day and Older Iowans' Day
- 10 a.m.: Share a tribute to your favorite 2020 graduate.
- 1 p.m.: Share your favorite State Fair memories on Facebook.
- 3 p.m.: Can it up! — Learn how to can salsa.
Thursday, Aug. 20
Theme: Kids' Day
- 9 a.m.: Hy-Vee KidsFit at home: State Fair-style circuit — Join the Hy-Vee KidsFit Club for free ways to get moving with monthly challenges.
- 11 a.m.: Snake handling — Learn about snake handling in this video from the Iowa DNR.
- 2 p.m.: Flat Fairfield — Fairfield is the star of a new Iowa State Fair Book, "Fairfield and Friends: Ribbon Quest." Hear the story of how Fairfield learns much more than just how to win a ribbon during a day at the Fair.
- 4 p.m.: Cookie contraption — Learn how to make a Rube Goldberg machine with cookies.
Friday, Aug. 21
Theme: Fair Food Friday
- 9 a.m.: Are you hungry? — A celebration of Iowa State Fair food.
- 1 p.m.: How-to fair food — Iowa pork, egg, dairy, beef and turkey farmers will show you how to make some of your favorite fair foods.
- 3 p.m.: Paint your face — Learn how to make homemade face paint from corn.
Saturday, Aug. 22
Theme: Record breaking
- 7 a.m.: Kids' yoga.
- 9 a.m.: Biggest! Best! Most! — Learn about past fair exhibitors' greatest records!
- 1 p.m.: BINGO — Get a bingo card and mark off the State Fair records to win prizes.
- 4 p.m.: Inside the lines — Learn who won this year's State Fair coloring contest.
Sunday, Aug. 23
Theme: Extreme Sunday
- 9 a.m.: Build a roller coaster at home and show us your creation.
- 11 a.m.: Blue Ribbon Foundation online auction update.
- 4 p.m.: Closing remarks.
Sarah LeBlanc covers trending news for the Register. Reach her at 515-284-8161 or email@example.com.
Your subscription makes work like this possible. Join today at DesMoinesRegister.com/Deal.