Sneak peek at Black Friday deals: Get your Thanksgiving Day Register early at Hy-Vees across metro
The Thanksgiving Day edition is our biggest of the year by volume, full of news and stuffed with advertising inserts offering holiday deals.
And once again we’re partnering with Hy-Vee to give you a chance to get an early start on perusing special coverage and planning your shopping expeditions.
We’ll deliver 14,815 copies of the Thanksgiving edition by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 27 to 37 Des Moines metro and Indianola Hy-Vee locations.
This is the fifth year we’ve teamed up with Hy-Vee to offer our readers an early edition, which wouldn’t be possible without Hy-Vee's help. You’ll find early Thanksgiving editions at 19 Hy-Vee grocery stores, 13 gas stations, two drugstores, two Fast & Fresh stores and one Health Market.
The Thanksgiving Day paper and the 40 advertising inserts inside will feature Black Friday specials, coupons, discounts and holiday gift ideas.
Black Friday guide: Shopping hours, gift ideas and where to get a deal in the Des Moines area
Of course, our metro-area home-delivery subscribers will get the same deals, delivered to the convenience of their doorsteps by Thursday morning.
The newsroom has also planned a cornucopia of features and news coverage, including:
- A special story from Iowa Columnist Courtney Crowder. Twenty years ago in Iowa City, a horrific drunken-driving crash killed a mother, two sisters and two others. Crowder will introduce you to the sister left behind and trace her journey from unbearable grief to a place where light pushes out the darkness.
- An at-a-glance guide to Black Friday 2019: this year’s must-have gifts, store hours, parking information and shipping deadlines.
- Previews of the Friday-after-Thanksgiving college football showdown between the University of Iowa and the University of Nebraska at Lincoln and Saturday’s Iowa State vs. Kansas State matchup in Manhattan, where weird twists always seem to await the Cyclones.
- A preview of which high school boys’ basketball teams might be headed for strong seasons and a ticket to the state tournament.
- A giant two-page crossword puzzle.
- A list of holiday TV specials.
- A look at current holiday movies.
Detailed coordination and planning go into producing the Thanksgiving Day edition. Our distribution teams will deliver a press run of more than 101,000 copies to 1,037 retailers across the state as well as subscribers’ homes.
I hope you’ll enjoy reading our coverage and looking through the year’s fattest pile of coupons and advertising inserts.
On behalf of the entire staff at the Register, from the newsroom to sales, distribution and finance personnel, we wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. May this be a joyous holiday season for you and your family.
Carol Hunter is the Register’s executive editor. She wants to hear from you with questions, story ideas or concerns. Contact her at 515-284-8545, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter, @carolhunter.